Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm a Fataphobe

So those of you that know me, know that I had a catastrophic bicycle crash at 8:30 in the morning on Saturday August 4 that landed me in the hospital for a week and then in a wheelchair for 2 months.

The sedentary lifestyle was very good for my fat cells as they were able to grow or multiply (whichever fat cells do - it seems to me that they breed like rabbits) and I put on 15 net pounds 10 of which I have not been able to shake as yet but I am now ready for round 2 of getting this flabby appleton back into top form.

It is difficult to keep the busy schedule that I do while managing my type 1 diabetes, eating right, getting the exercise I need to maintain my girlish figure and still earn enough money to keep Melissa (my wife) and I in the lifestyle that we have become accustomed to!

But the trick seems to be making it easy....at least the easiest that it can be.  Lots of fresh ingredients pre-grouped on Sunday for the rest of the week and set for as little prep work as possible

One of the tricks that I will be using in my quest to drop another 10 lbs is fixing as many of my meals as I can in advance and doing the rest in my Ninja

I will not be starving myself but I will have to be extra careful in managing my Blood Glucose (BG) as when eating clean and mostly raw, my insulin requirements go down significantly.  Particularly with the amount of exercise that I strive to get.

The last couple of months I have been kicking it up, but still need another notch.  I am leading 3 spin classes per week for about 3 and one half hour total and swimming an hour every 2 weeks.

Over the next month with the weather getting better, my bike will increase to well over 10 hours per week and I intend to bring my swim up to at least 2 hours per week and ad in about 2 hours of running.  (I coach and the season is at hand, so it is necessary for me to be in the water and on the track with my athletes)

Ok so there is the prequil to what this fataphobic has in store for himself, stay tuned for how that all works out for me..... by the way did I mention that for bike rides this summer I have
  1. The Assault on Mount Mitchell 102 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing (mostly in the last 28 miles) Monday May 21 starting in Spartenburg, SC
  2. The RAIN ride - Ride from state line to state line in Indiana about 176 miles on Saturday July 13
  3. JDRF Natchez trail Sept 21  Starts and ends in Nashville, TN - a little over 100 miles (I am a coach so I could ride a bit more)
  4. JDRF Death Valley, CA October 19 Saturday - 105 miles in the dryest climate on the planet
  5. El Tour de Tuscon - Perimeter tour of Tucson, AZ - a challenging 111 mile ride around the outskirts of Tuscon on Saturday Nov 23
  6. I need to also do at least 2 more 200 mile single day road rides if I can find some one to keep an eye on me.  Part of my training for the Furnace Creek 508 (508 mountainous desert miles 35,000 feet of elevation gain in 48 hours) http://www.the508.com/
  7. Oh yeah, and I need to squeeze in a couple of sprint triathlons and 40k time trials
Looks like a busy summer ahead and it all starts by getting back down to my riding weight, not breaking any bones this year, and getting into the best shape of my life again!

Come do it with me.... you don't have to do the stuff that seems crazy to you,,,,,but you can!

My goal is to inspire others to be the best that they can be, no matter what they think that is!

Later - Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment